July 8th - August 1st, 2015.
All the drums were recorded and edited... the songs were already sounding great - even with just my early drafts!
It was time to start layering the backbone of the album - acoustic guitars!
My good friend and collaborator Etzy Tal, lent me his vintage Taylor, and I was ready to begin :)
I took the guitars to my guitar doctor - Yotam Harduf.
He took one look at the Taylor and said it needs nothing but a fresh set of strings :)
My old Fender, on the other hand... was mission impossible.
Even after many adjustments, filings and a fresh set of Martin strings - it was beyond stable tuning.
So I reached out to my friend Sapir Wolloch, who graciously lent me his awesome Martin!
The Martin's phat resonance and the Taylor's brilliant clarity were a perfect match for layering :)
Itay Haruvi and I spent half a day experimenting with different microphones and locations, and ended up using a combination of RODE NT1000 and K2.
For the Taylor, the NT1000 was the main source, and the K2 was used in a figure 8 pattern - the channel was then doubled, phase-flipped and panned hard.
The resultant sound was spacious and sparkly!
For the Martin, the K2 was used in a directional pattern, and the NT1000 was a more distant room mic - resulting in a large, yet well focused sound!
On August 5th, 2015 - I laid down the last of the acoustic guitar takes...
The projects now consist of drums and acoustic guitars - and already I couldn't be more excited about the way this album is sounding :)
Click here to see me tick the final "v" on my acoustic guitar chart!
The audio teaser is an unmixed draft recording, so don't take it too seriously :)
As always, thanks for listening!